Ambulatory phlebectomy is one of several highly recommended treatments for varicose veins. Depending on individual needs, ambulatory phlebectomy could be the best varicose vein treatment for you due to its long-term results and lack of complications after the procedure.
What is Ambulatory Phlebectomy?
Ambulatory phlebectomy is a micro-extraction procedure that is used to correct large surface veins that have become varicose. Small incisions as small as 2-3 millimeters are placed near the varicose vein, and a phlebectomy hook is inserted. This tool hooks a section of damaged vein and removes it through the incision. If needed, other sections of vein or nearby varicose veins are similarly addressed.
Why is Ambulatory Phlebectomy a Good Treatment for Varicose Veins?
Ambulatory phlebectomy is a good varicose vein treatment for the following reasons:
- No stitches: The tiny incisions used for ambulatory phlebectomy are so small that they do not require stitches, which means there is minimal to no scarring.
- Minimal discomfort: Most patients who get ambulatory phlebectomy report minimal to no discomfort and need no pain medications during recovery. The treatment itself is performed with local anesthesia so that there is no discomfort.
- Quick recovery: Patients should keep the leg elevated and stay off their feet for the first 24 hours after the treatment, but may resume regular light activities and even work the next day. For the 7 to 10 days after the procedure, the only disruption to normal life is having to wear a compression bandage and limiting strenuous activities. After this, all normal activities can be resumed.
- Minimal time off: Patients can usually return to work the very next day after the procedure.
- No general anesthesia: Ambulatory phlebectomy is usually performed in-office with only local anesthesia, which greatly improves the recovery time and reduces the risk of side effects that are common after receiving general anesthesia.
- Cosmetic appeal: The results of this treatment have excellent cosmetic appeal. The treated vein will disappear, leaving behind a more even and healthy skin appearance.
- Minimal to no side effects: Ambulatory phlebectomy has virtually no side effects. Skin pigmentation changes may occur at the treatment site, but these are usually temporary.
- Long-term results: Long-term results after ambulatory phlebectomy are excellent when the procedure is performed for the appropriate indications.
- Symptom relief: With a successful ambulatory phlebectomy, relief from symptoms of varicose veins can significantly improve quality of life.
If you are dealing with varicose veins and aren’t sure which treatment is right for you, consider ambulatory phlebectomy. This treatment could be the perfect solution to eliminate your varicose veins. Call (706) 854-8340 or contact us online to schedule an appointment with vein specialist Dr. Sherman today.